Join Knowde: Change the World
Every human-made product on earth traces its roots to chemistry – from food to pharma, from Q-tips to qubits: chemistry makes every innovation possible. Can’t wait for that foldable phone? Thank DuPont. Have a kid and rely on baby wipes? Thank Lonza. Love solar shingles that can power your home? Thank Dow Chemical.
Knowde is transforming the $7 trillion chemical industry starting with the creation of a rich marketplace where people can crush the product innovation lifecycle down from years to days. We’re doing this by connecting customers and producers early in the product development lifecycle where they can research, discover, collaborate, negotiate and purchase chemistries and products quickly and repeatedly with a level of information transparency never before seen in this industry.
Knowde is looking to add an immensely talented UX/UI Production Designer to our product team who will help us invent, design, refine and deliver the products that will enable this digital transformation. The products we will create together simply do not exist today. This is your chance to fundamentally affect how product innovation occurs globally across industries.
Our UX/UI Production Designer will apply their natural visual and design talent to support our product design staff. This talented team member will spend their days sketching, designing, prototyping and detailing glorious user experiences that surprise and delight our customers. They will work directly with our head of product and Lead UX/UI designer, along with our UI Development team to extend, refine, detail, and document our designs so that all the questions are answered when building our rich UI. They will be a core contributor to the design process enhancing and detailing the concept designs. This means helping Knowde perfect our design system, taking the germs of ideas from collaborative brainstorming sessions and expanding and detailing those ideas so they can serve as a rich blueprint for future design iterations and eventually UI development builds. We’re looking for a creative person who is starting their UX/UI design career and wants to get arms-deep into the design process and help deliver great products.
- You’re early in your career. You’ve graduated from school, maybe have a few months or years of experience and are looking to learn more.
- You’re a UX/UI hybrid: You’re a hands-on, gifted visual designer who loves the clarity and cleanliness that comes from exceptional UX.
- You love Interaction design and are open to developing your skills in a start-up environment.
- You’ve learned about UI design patterns and want to start putting them into practice.
- You have a natural attention to detail but don’t sweat it when things change.
- You finish the work… dot those “I”s and cross those “T”s.
- You work fast and hard and then move on to the next project.
- You communicate often and don’t get defensive when asked to elucidate your design choices.
- You are open to learning new skills and want to expand your base of experience.
- You are self-directed, self-motivated and thrive on collaborative independence where coming together to brainstorm feeds your focused solo work of detailing your designs.
- You love to solve complex problems with simple, elegant solutions.
- You are open to learning to use new tools like those for rapid prototyping like Axure, XD and others.
- You understand how design systems are built and you want to be part of a team that is creating and refining their own.
- You understand the basic principles of coding and, while you may not code yourself, you want to learn enough so you can design solutions that can be rapidly built.
- Knowde is a well-funded start-up based in San Jose but with work opportunities around the globe: Our core team is in San Jose and Seattle, but you can work from wherever it makes sense to you.
- At Knowde, everyone owns the product and the product is our passion.
- No one works 9-5. We’re a start-up.
- We think big, move fast and have strong opinions.
- We frame things up and expect you to fill in the blanks.
- We are open to great ideas and are willing to experiment.
- We believe in work flexibility and respect your need to work in your own space.
- Everyone executes and delivers.
- If you work with Knowde you will share in our success.
- We design using Axure (http://www.axure.com/),
- And, Adobe Creative Cloud…
- And, pen, pencil and paper…
- And, whatever else works that may be needed to get the job done – Zeplin, Webflow, Sketch.
Skills We’re Looking For
- UI/Visual Design (color, line, type, shape, image, composition).
- UX/Interaction Design (personas, flows, story maps).
- 2+ years designing products end-to-end or equivalent.
- Some knowledge of user experience/user-centered design processes and methodology.
- A passion for creating products and services that resonate emotionally with people.
- Proficiency with visualizing, sketching, designing and prototyping user interfaces.
- Open to track the latest techniques/trends/thinking within your field and ready to share your knowledge and thoughts with both colleagues and clients.
- Ability to work within distributed, multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills.
Day in The Life
- Wake up! Do what you do.
- Work with Product team and tech teams daily to get direction and instruction so you can deliver the day’s work.
- Depending on where we are at in the design cycles, you’ll create personas, user flows, UX studies, mood boards, wireframes, design comps, quick user feedback studies, redlining, design documenting, quick final design QA review before go live.
- Get an assignment and complete it.
- Work with business team and Lead UX/UI Designer to detail design requirements and extend design concepts. We may tee up a design idea and ask you to expand that by creating rich wireframes or visual designs to complete the picture.
- Have fun and take care of yourself.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, preferably in graphic design, information design, user interface design, fine art, industrial design, product design or another visual communications discipline.
- Contract or FTE available depending on preference
- Pay is competitive and commensurate with experience
- FTE positions include benefits and equity participation
- Flexible base but prefer greater Seattle area. Work from our office flex space or from home studio with in-office meetings each week.
How to Apply
- Send your resume and a link to your online portfolio to email@example.com with the subject line “UX/UI Production Designer”.
Knowde does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org